Sunday 14 September 2014

"A gap year blog! What an interesting and original idea!"

Not.
But nonetheless, a solid 3 or 4 people are genuinely interested in my Parisian exploits, and I'm getting sick of telling the same stories over and over, so here we are.

My blog's title refers to the wonderful Woody Allen film, 'Midnight in Paris'. For those of you who don't know the film, it paints a beautiful and highly romantic portrait of the City of Lights: Paris in the rain, Paris in the lamplights, Paris in the all-white-upper-class-haven we all evidently aspire to... So, of course, this was my expectation upon moving here. The reality, however, was different: Paris in the traffic, Paris in the "oh my God I'm riding the metro alone at 1AM please don't mug me" state of mind, Paris in the endless mountain of bureacracy... I don't get to see midnight in Paris on weeknights, as I have a fabulous 10PM curfew. Chic, I know.

But regardless of my reality check upon arriving here, the city is magical, and lots of interesting things are bound to happen over the next 10 months. So here I chronicle my journey: read it, ignore it, mock it, whatever you want. I'm pretty much only writing this for my mum anyway.

Allons-y!

No comments:

Post a Comment